PRINCE2® (Projects IN Controlled Environments) is a process-based approach for project management providing an easily tailored and scalable method for the management of all types of projects. The method is the de-facto standard for project management in the UK and is practiced worldwide.
The continued international development of PRINCE2 examinations, training and course material is contributing significantly to the recognition of PRINCE2 as a truly international standard. More and more people are having the opportunity to benefit from the training courses and certifications that are available worldwide.
Benefits of PRINCE2:
PRINCE2 embodies established and proven best practice and governance for project management. It can be applied to any type of project – and can easily be implemented alongside specialist, industry-specific models (‘engineering models’ or ‘development life cycles’).
The method is widely recognized and understood, and therefore provides a common vocabulary for all project participants – promoting effective communication. The method also provides for the explicit recognition of project responsibilities – so that participants understand each other’s roles and needs. There is a defined structure for accountability, delegation, authority and communication.
Some observed benefits are:
- Promotes consistency of project work and the ability to reuse project assets; it also facilitates staff mobility and reduces the impact of personnel changes/handovers.
- Is an invaluable diagnostic tool, facilitating the assurance and assessment of project work, troubleshooting and audits.
- Plans are carefully designed to meet the needs of the different levels in the management team, improving communication and control.
- Ensures that participants focus on the viability of the project in relation to its Business Case objectives – rather than simply seeing the completion of the project as an end in it.
- Defines a thorough but economic structure of reports.
- Ensures that stakeholders (including sponsors and resource providers) are properly represented in planning and decision making.
Adopting PRINCE2 promotes learning and continual improvement in organizations. Its product focus clarifies (for all parties) what a project will deliver, why, when, by whom and for whom. It is based on a ‘management by exception’ framework, providing for the efficient and economic use of management time (whether at corporate, program, Project Board or project management levels).
Benefits for Individuals
- Learn how to manage projects or to work in a project environment using the most internationally recognized project management method.
- Ensure that team members focus on the viability of the project in relation to its business case objectives – rather than simply seeing the completion of the project as an end in itself.
- Promote consistency of project work and the ability to reuse project assets while facilitating staff mobility and reducing the impact of personnel changes/handovers.
- Design plans and reports to meet the needs of each level in the project team and Project Board, improving communication and control.
- Mitigate perceived problems and issues and focus on the viability of the project throughout.
- Evaluate the project portfolio to bring clarity and allow improvements in reviewing projects.
Benefits for Organizations
- Benefit from a shared and thoroughly understood language and approach to reporting which will save time and effort.
- Increase staff awareness of their roles and responsibilities in the project management life cycle.
- Utilize an invaluable diagnostic tool, facilitating the assurance and assessment of project work, troubleshooting and audits.
- Ensure stakeholders (including sponsors and resource providers) are properly represented in planning and decision making.
- Enable more effective engagement of stakeholders in the process of project approval and management.
Prince2 related links:
Prince2 combined Foundation and Practitioner course
The courses on this page are offered by VMEdu, ATO/AFFILIATE of AXELOS Limited